September 6, 2008

my two new favorite bags!

Being an asthmatic in Texas in this heat can be a struggle sometimes. Then you add having to walk all over campus onto that and it's always a struggle. I love my (ok David's that i stole) backpack, but it's just too hot and heavy on my back. I have a few tote bags I've been carrying but they just aren't doing the job as well as I'd like. So what do I do? I make one!

I spent hours searching for ideas online and I finally came up with a simple tote bag that my laptop could fit in horizontally along with all my other school folders, spirals, pencil case, assignment book and wallet. I saw a bag on craftster that had cute pockets on the front so I wanted to incorporate that too. I had some purple vinyl leftover from a travel bag I made a few months ago and lots of black and grey swirl cotton fabric from me not lining said bag.

I started drawing out a pattern and then just cut away on Monday afternoon and by that night I had my new favorite school bag. Now onto the picture!

for bigger pics go to my flickr

I used this past week and it's been great. The only downside I found was when I would go somewhere after school and didn't have a purse with me. I'd either have to carry my wallet, phone and keys or take the whole bag in with me to a restaurant or something. This got me thinking a wristlet/clutch would be fun to make. I'd never really had a need for one before but I always thought they were so cute.

Thursday after having lunch with David and taking him back to school I made a trip to Hobby Lobby and found some pretty black and white damask print and yellow broadcloth. I just used a simple lined zipper pouch pattern and added some credit card pockets and an outside zipper. Once I got the credit card pockets folded, ironed, and sewn the rest was a breeze!

I love the simplicity of the crisp black & white with the pops of color on the outside. I don't use much yellow in my sewing so that was a refreshing color to use. I used it last night when I went out with my grirlfriends and it's such a great size. It fits my phone, keys, credit cards, a pen, chapstick, and my inhaler with plenty of room if i need it. Since taking the pics I've added a 1/2" eyelet on the right side to clip on a wrist strap. I'll get pics of that up once I'm back in San Marcos and can make a simple strap.


I have a knitting project still in the works that I'd like to finish up before the weekend is over, so stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment