September 15, 2011

I can never find what I want at a store..

hot pink linen stitch...love

We have a wedding we're going to Friday and I always struggle with what to wear.  I have a black dress that I love but it's a bit short looking on my tall stature and the belt that came with it is basically broken, and hard for this asthmatic to breathe in.  I decided on Monday night I could wear the dress if I could find a stretchy belt with a pop of color and some type of black leggings to lengthen the appearance of the dress.

Tuesday after work I headed to Target.  I found myself with lots of legging choices, and almost bought purple ones, but settled on some opaque black tights.  The belt section left me wanting, all too thin and not stretchy or way too wide and in ugly neutrals.  I proceeded to wander to the shoe department, even though I was planning to wear some gold sparkly heals.  I found some awesome grey shiny mary jane heals for only $20!  They fit perfectly and are so comfy!  I know pointy shoes were popular there for a while, and still are, but they just aren't comfy on my feet and honestly my feet are long enough without that added point :)  I decided the more neutral grey of these shoes would be easier to pair with a colorful belt and hair flower than sparkly gold.

Came home and tried the tights on with the dress and heals and took a look in the mirror.  I saw something awful from the early 90s...not a look I'm willing to sport.  I dug through my drawers and found some mid calf-length leggings in black and put them on.  They looked SO much better with the dress...think ballerina in heals, I can do that look any day!

In the belt department I was still lacking.  I tied a pink fabric belt around my waist from another dress and liked the bit of color but not the look of the ties, and David agreed.  So I did what any sane girl would do...I found some hot pink wool yarn in my huge yarn stash and looked up belt patterns on ravelry.  After a while I ended up just casting on 8 stitches and knit in linen stitch on size US 6 needles.  As of last night I'm about half way done and I plan to finish it tonight.

I don't have a buckle so I'm thinking a simple button closure will be fine.  I also intend on making a new flower for my hair.  Black vinyl ric-rac with a fun shimmery button.  I'll post pics of the flower and possibly the whole look after the wedding.

I don't dress up often but when I do I love to have handmade accessories!  I may even use my knit handbag I made for the last wedding I went to :)

2 comments:

  1. The stitch on that belt looks really cute! I am so not crafty with clothes - need to get better at that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's a great way to customize without spending a ridiculous amount of money :)

    ReplyDelete