January 31, 2009

a pin of love

I made this cute little felty heart pin last night while watching tv. At first I didn't have a reason to make it, just wanted something I could finish in one sitting and keep my hands moving. As I was stitching it I decided my MeMaw might really appreciate it right now.

Not because valentine's is near, not because she's living alone again after living with us for 2 months, but because our family is going through a rough time right now. A few weeks ago we found out my great-uncle Ray has cancer all over his back. Ray is one of MeMaw's younger brothers (by 4 or 5 years I think) and she helped raise him when they were little. She told me it's almost like losing one of her own children since she had such a vital role in forming who he has become.

I personally don't know my uncle Ray very well. The few memories I have of him are playing duck hunt at his house while the old folks visited, playing with Max (my great grandmommy's wiener dog that he got when she died), and just knowing he lives near Schlitterbahn in New Braunfels. All are good memories nonetheless. My parents are visiting him today with my uncle and MeMaw. According to my mom, it's a matter of days.

So back to the point of my post. I sent the pin along with my mom to give to MeMaw this morning. Kinda like sending a hug, but made of felt with hand stitching and a loving message instead. I hope it makes her smile a bit on this hard day.

I'm comforted with the fact that my uncle will be in God's hands soon. I can tell MeMaw is comforted by this too. She's a strong Christian woman and knows everything is in God's hands. Such a beautiful hope to have in times like this.

So, if any of you have a spare moment could you please lift my family in prayer this weekend? Pray for Uncle Ray's wife, kids and grandkids too. There have been a lot of health issues there so it's a very hard time for them right now. God can do amazing things and He will bring my family through this!
thanks so much everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment