November 7, 2011

day 7: my daddy

pinning on my dad's boutonniere

Today I am thankful for my daddy.  I will try my best to keep this post from getting insanely long, it's going to be difficult though.

My dad is one of my favorite people in my life.  Naturally I love him, he was one half of the amazing duo that raised and shaped me into the person I am today.  I know the relationship I have with my dad is special though.  It goes far beyond him just being that guy who raised me.  I wish every girl could have a father like I have, but I know of only one who was as lucky as I, and that's my sister. 

My dad is the original inspiration for all things musical in my life.  I can remember him playing his guitar when I was very little and singing me Puff the Magic Dragon.  He would sing me to sleep at night to the tune of John Denver's Today.  I'm not sure if I've ever heard Denver's version, but I know the song very well.  As I grew my dad was very involved in my choir and orchestra activities.  He loved watching musicals with me and wandered our house singing goofy songs (does this sound like my post about David? ha!)

I am extremely blessed to not only have a present father in my life but also one who shares my faith.  My dad has a huge heart for service and I've seen him work to the point of exhaustion while serving our Lord.  If there is anything he can do to help someone else, he'll do it...gladly!  That inspires me daily.

I love talking to my dad now that I'm older and have my own very strong opinions.  I find he usually shares them with me or if not he respects them anyways.  He tells me when he's proud of the way I'm living but still also reminds me to drive carefully right after a light rain, always a daddy for sure.  I think one reason I enjoy talking to him is we share a very similar sense of humor.  I love being able to make him laugh as he has done my entire life.

Some traits my dad has passed down to me are a love for ketchup, appreciation for good music, my sense of humor, a laid back personality, general goofiness, and a tall stature so I can tower over all my tiny friends.  Okay that last one is just to be funny, though I do tend to be taller than many of my girl friends.

Like I said, I could write so much more but I think I'll keep this brief for now.  I think you get the point that my dad is awesome and could beat up your dad :)

No comments:

Post a Comment